Wednesday, May 25

Cake time

Ever since I saw a photo of a rainbow layer cake

I have been wanting to make one.
I finally had an excuse!
It was my nanny girls' Grandpa's birthday today.
A ripe ol age of 97. He is incredible. Movin and groovin!
Anyway I figured in his 97 years he may have never seen
such a freaking awesome cake before.
And a cake made by me, what could be better?















I used the white cake recipe from The Best Recipe.
Delicious!
I was on quite the sugar high from licking all the bowls
while making the cake last night.















The girls and I had fun making the colors.
We even got fancy and used a real vanilla bean.
I felt so professional.















Letting cakes cool on paper plates seemed like such
a smart idea at the time.
Easy clean up and simple idea.
Until I tried to frost the cake today.
Ya, wont be doing that one again.















Oh and this was classic.
I used my nanny families cake pans and my cake pan.
Pretty sure I thought my pan looked bigger.
Of course I didn't measure or check,
until after I had all the layers stacked while frosting.
It helped make this beautiful leaning effect.
Just a good thing that Grandpa was 97 and
doesn't care if his birthday cake has a weird leaning cliff.















BOOYAH!
Beautiful. And ever so tasty!
I think I am going to make this cake for birthdays whether
the birthday person wants it or not.
It's just so cute and fun!
I should give myself some credit,
it was my first layer cake ever.
But still... the leaning cliff and the terrible decorating.
I still have some major work to do.
*hint* *hint* Cake decorating classes for my birthday.
Anybody listening?!

5 comments:

Lauren Ricci said...

That is an awesome cake! I may have to try it! Good job! I can barely make cupcakes :)

LeAnn said...

That is awesome, it makes me want one for my birthday!

Jill said...

Your cake looks amazing!! I'm sure it's delicious too! I'm sure Grandpa loved it!!

Brittany said...

I love it! I'm sure grandpa loved it too! I will take one for my birthday...i'm just saying. Love ya

Meredith said...

Love it! Wish we could have stuck around to have some!