Is it just me? Is it just me that feels the huge pressure to be perfect? To be a perfect wife, friend, daughter, sister, aunt, co-worker, human being? I have gotten so overwhelmed lately with this never ending pressure. Not until I was married did I realize the true perfectionism I have in me. I try so hard to make sure that our life is perfect in every way, but life is not perfect. I freak out a lot thinking and comparing myself to so many others. I know, I know, you are not supposed to compare yourself to others, well guess what... been doing it my whole life. 'I wish I looked like that' 'I wish I was funny like that' etc. Then I sit back and think, well what do I have to offer the world? I feel myself drowning in a pool of self pity and self scorning. What happened to not caring about what people think? This lesson is the hardest thing for me to learn. I wish I was like so many of my friends that have found how to handle all this unseen pressure and are true to themselves. I am still on this road of self-discovery and I wish I was close to the finish line. I can name off certain events in my recent life that have caused me to be harsh on myself, but I am not going to re-hash them out, it will just make things worse.
I know that you need to enjoy the little things in life, because isn't that what makes life what it is? Is it not those times of something unexpected happening that you truly cherish the most? I don't know what sort of bug bit me but I have not been able to just chill and enjoy lately. I get so high strung about if everything is clean, did I make dinner, is James happy, did I call certain friends, did I call my family, have I made time for everyone, did I eat the right foods, and have I done anything and everything for everyone around me? Makes you want to throw up, well it does to me at least. Then I start thinking, I need to make sure I am happy. Then I forget my other obligations. I have such a hard time balancing it all that I am driving myself abosultely crazy!
How do you balance your life? What are some tricks that you use that help you not worry so much about what people are thinking or saying? I for sure need to get this all settled and out of my system NOW before it ruins my true self. I worry so much about what people think of me that I can't enjoy who I truly am or what I want to do with my life. Maybe that I am coming to terms with the fact that this is a problem for me and acknowledging it very publically will help me understand that the only thing that matters is me and my self portrait.
1 day ago


10 comments:
Read the scriptures and let God tell you who you are and what you need to do.
I know how you feel. I swear I never do things right. The house is never perfect, I feel like dinner is never perfect and I haven't eaten perfectly or worked out as hard as I could. As for how to fix it I have no idea. Take a "me day" a day where you don't clean or cook or do anything but relax sit by the pool and forget about what you have to do.
Lindsey, The first thing you need to do is remember who's in the center of our lives. The Savior! if he is the center everything else falls into place. Don't worry so much about being perfect in everyone else's eyes. The most important this is that the Savior is happy with you. You are the sweetest thing I have ever met and I know the lord is proud of you. Don't stress about the small things they really don't matter in the end. However, you always need to make time for yourself. Do what you want to do to make you happy. I love you! call me next time you are feeling like this I use to feel like this all the time and I have worked it out.
linds dont worry about what others think of you, you are great and as long as you know that, that is all that truley matters, you have so many things to offer and everyone sees that in you. Nothing in life is perfect even though somethings may seem that way everyone has or has had the same struggles as you face. I think everything you are feeling is normal, and you are still young and are finding yourself (not that im that old and know everything im just saying)give it time, everything will work out how it is suppossed to be, ull find a balance, and it will work for you and everyone else. keep your head up.
I have the same problems! Good to know us Lindsey J's stick together even in our insecurities. I have found that working out has helped me a lot. It is some me time that makes me feel good about myself. I have also been trying to relish in the compliments Rob gives me and really take them to heart. It just reaffirms that he loves me and sees the best, even when I see the worst. We should do lunch and have some venting time. Just talking about it helps me too!
Thank you so much for your cute comment on my blog! I totally laughed when I read your cause it is so funny to me how we all go through different things but at the same exact time! You seriously are someone that I look up too! I love how happy you are!!! You are the greatest!
It's funny how we always feel like we are failing at everything, especially when we are doing everything we know how to do! A while back, I listened to a talk where Elder Holland told missionaries that he HOPED they got in bed at night wondering if they had done enough. He said that that way, he knew that they were doing the very best they knew how and that the Spirit would be with them. I couldn't ask for a more comforting thought. You're on the right track, babe!
Lindsey, I totally agree with that above comment! As I was reading, I was thinking, "wow, she is so compassionate to want to make sure everyone around her is happy and everything is done for her hubby and everyone else!" I WISH I was more like that! I hope you realize that what you ARE doing is PERFECT and you are not expected to do anything more that you can. And you can only make others happy when YOU are happy :)
p.s. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :)
There's a great book called "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff". Check it out, I learned a lot :)
Lindsey,
I linked to your blog from Lacy's and just wanted to say hi. You look so AMAZING and so happy and you totally deserve it!
Anyway, I have the exact same problems. I ALWAYS compare myself to others and forget to appreciate what I was given and where I am in life because I am always too worried about where others are in theirs. It's a difficult battle but one I hope to evenutally win. Thanks for sharing this post with the blogging world, as I always feel alone with these feelings and wrong for even thinking them.
Have a great day!
Lauren Heim Ricci
Post a Comment