Monday, April 6

Luck is what I need

The SLC 1/2 marathon is a mere 2 weeks away
And after training for 12 weeks
I don't know if I will be able to run the race.
I have hurt my IT Band.

It happened from a run I did on Wednesday.
It's mainly in my knee.


I knew it was real bad when I set out
Saturday during that cool storm
to do a long run to a friends house.
I was a mile into the run when I couldn't go any longer.
I was advised to stop immedietly.


Hurting your IT Band is caused by
not stretching your hips out enough.
Guilty as charged.
Hips tight = lower back and knee over compensating
Guilty again.


I am determined to fight to try and race.
I have an appointment with a massage therapist
who will as someone says
"make me want to rip their face off"
as they dig into the muscle fibers of the IT Band.
Hopefully heat and yoga of Bikram Yoga will help
And hit up the elliptical to make sure
I still have the heart rate endurance
to hopefully race on April 18th.
Wish me luck!
If anyone knows any good stretches
and/or tips... they will be
GREATLY appreciated!

9 comments:

Julie said...

That sounds SO painful. If anyone can pull it off though, its you! Your determination to finish what you set out to accomplish is very inspiring. Good luck.

Karlee Turner said...

Use a foam roller!! IT hurts like mad, but it works! It really loosens up your IT band. We also have people (specifically runners) who come into the Physical Therapy clinic I work at with that problem all the time, so if you want to, I can get you in for a free consultation so see if it could help?? Just let me know!

sTaCiE said...

Good luck! I hope you can race too!!

Karlee Turner said...

I dont' know where you are living, but we have offices in Sandy, Holladay, WJ, SJ, and Riverton, so you could go to any of those clinics for the consultation. I'll just give you the Sandy (that's the office I'm based out of) number and then if you want to go to another office, just ask them for the number. Its 801-572-0690. Just tell them you are a friend of mine and want to set up a Free Consultation. We'll be able to fit you in pretty quick, and you will just come in and the therapist will evaluate you and see if we can help you and go from there. When you come in, ask the therapist that treats you about the foam roller. Let me know if you have any other ?s! Good luck!

Jennifer Lane said...

Linds, I can totally relate to this. Stretch a lot, use the foam roller, the eliptical is a good idea, which leg is it??? is it the one running in the ditch on the road?? i'm guessing it's your left leg?? or is it both?? if it's the left, try running along with traffic so that leg isn't the one having to do the extra effort just because of the natural downward slope on the side of the roads. and ice to take away the inflammation in your knee. But learn from my mistake---don't fall asleep with the ice---it can cause frost bite and make you end up in the ER.

Stacy said...

AMEN to the foam roller!! You really should use one. They are amazing. You should always use it before and after running or any work out. That is what good old AMP gym taught me. We would roll out all of our muscles before and after all work outs and it helps prevent injuries, and makes you a lot less sore too! Really are worth the month. I think they are like $40 bucks. It is like a personal masseuse.

Carly said...

No fun! I keep worrying like something is going to happen to me like that with only a week and a half before the race! I'm trying to take it slow and light so hopefully my clutzy self won't screw me up! Let me know how the foam roller works, and thanks for motivating me to run! I love it!

Hollie said...

Girl, I can help you with that when I get out there. It's a killer massage, but it totally works. That's what I had in both knees at the last half marathon, remember I couldn't bend my knees at the end of the race? I found out it was ITBS. Anyway, I found a good massage that actually took it away! I'll try it on you when I get there:) See ya soon!!!!

Hollie said...

I should be there Friday so I can do it then. I had Ryan do the same massage and I ran the next day with no pain!!! It was crazy! I will warn you, it hurts like a mother! It relieves so much pressure though! You will LOVE me forever.....if you don't already:)