Monday, November 2

Strange encounters

Have you ever been close to a raccoon?
I haven't.
I guess they are pretty common out here in these parts.
I chased one with my car one night for a good 15 minutes.
I am easily amused.
But did you know that not even the animal control
care about raccoons?
This is the city that has less animals in their zoo than
Hogle Zoo because they don't want to harm any living creature.
I mean they don't even give you the option at grocery stores
of plastic bags in Palo Alto cause 'they are hard to recycle'.
True story.
{But we aren't talking about that right now}
Animal control will tell you if you see one to throw a rock at their head.
Sounds crazy right?
Well that's also a true story.
I mean how could you throw a rock at this sweet guy?
Did you know they have opposable thumbs?
Just like humans.
That is a wee bit freaky.
Freaky enough that they can take this beautiful backyard that we live in ...
{technically we live in the cottage of this backyard,
but I guess technically you could also say we live in the backyard}
And do this.
This is after James and I have tried to lay the grass back down.
It literally looks like someone was ripping up sod.
{they like to eat bugs that live right below the grass roots}
I am trying to talk James into doing a scope out tonight.
Arm ourselves with some nice rocks
and some 5 hour energy shots.
I feel bad for the owners of the backyard we live in, silly raccoons.
But not so silly... they will rip your eyeballs out!
And can ... they do have opposable thumbs.
and quite the temper.
Bring on the rocks!!
PS Lindsey J: Did I spell opposable right?

9 comments:

Cody and Meg said...

Oh Linds! You make me laugh! I can't believe how bad their yard has gotten! And YES you spelled opposable right. You are my funniest friend!

Jennifer Lane said...

I love the invention of BLOGS. I don't know what I'd do without hearing my Lindsey stories. You should write books!!

kellie said...

That is an awesome story, Lindsey. You are crackin' me up.

Jenny Alama said...

i scope out is a MUST!!! armed with rocks for whatever comes your way. please tell us the end of the tale.

Meredith said...

You are crazy!! When you catch it make some "raccoon soup"..yummy!

Meredith said...

That Meredith comment is from Me....Mom, I'm at Meri's house!! Love you and miss you!

Unknown said...

Um...I think I missed something. You guys move? Shouldn't be surprised I guess. Everyone does it now & then. :)
You crack me up! Opposable-thumbed raccoons! That is kinda freaky tho. Ha ha.

Lindsey said...

Spelling...correct. Thanks for not being an embarrassment to me. Ha, ha.

Megan said...

I HATE racoons. One DID rip my dog's eye out when I was little, scarred me for life, LIFE!!! You better arm yourself with some boulders :)