Sunday, August 29

Gum toss


Today while James and I were on a lovely Sunday drive,
we got pulled over.
The cop asked for the usual... drivers license, registration, insurance,
AND my drivers license.
Take note, I am the passenger in this scenario.

James: Can I ask why we are being pulled over?
Cop: She's the reason I pulled you over
James: What? Why?
Cop: Do you remember {talking to me} what you threw out the window?
Me: My gum?!!!
Cop: Yes. It is illegal to litter in the state of California.
And sir I could give you a big ticket for allowing her
to throw something out since you are the one operating the vehicle.

Then he leaves us and goes to his car.
15 freaking minutes later...

Cop: You know I could also give you a ticket for that tree hanging from your rear view mirror
{tree air freshener mind you}
It is an obstruction of view.
You both have Utah drivers licenses.
You have ten days once living in California to get California licenses.
So I just saved you two from getting at least four tickets.
James and myself: {dumbfounded}
Cop: So ma'am please don't throw trash on my highways anymore.

Can you believe that?!
I almost got a freaking ticket for throwing my gum out the window.
Good thing he was never around when I throw my apple core's out the window.
Now I need to study for a new drivers license.
Hopefully this time I can pass the written test on the first try.

10 comments:

Cori and Colin said...

That's ridiculous! I can't believe he said the air freshener could be an obstruction of view, ha! Some cops are so annoying! I once had a highway patrolman tell me that I needed to look at my CTR ring more often!

Lauren Ricci said...

That is annoying, especially the air freshener part! I love that you took a picture of him though :)

Jenny Alama said...

WHAT??? That is crazy. And an air freshener is an obstruction of view?? This guy needs to loosen up. Glad you didn't get 4 tickets though!

Jill said...

I'm sorry... but I'm still laughing my head off!!! I'm glad I wasn't in the car...I might of laughed at the officer or said something else kind-of rude!!! He was bored that day!!!

Chloe and Tyler said...

Wow, that guy must have just been bored or something. I don't think you have to take the test again though. I've lived in three states now and I'm sure all you have to do is get a new license. I could be wrong but I've never had to take the test again. Maybe it depends on which state you're from.

Jennifer Lane said...

YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!! THIS IS HILARIOUS.

Kristen said...

Awesome...wish I could have been there.

Scott & Annie said...

Oh my gosh, are you serious?!

Burt Bunch said...

What the heck?! Are you serious?! Ryan's bro-in-law is highway patrol in L.A. and has his magical "officer #" he rattles off when he gets pulled over- I'm gonna get you!

Burt Bunch said...

Ha, I meant to say I'm gonna get IT for you! (the #)