On Saturday night when I got home from working at Lone Star it was about 10:45pm. James was still at his friends house and was on his way home as well. As soon as I opened the door there was the strongest smell of what I can describe as 'propane gas'. I instantly called James to see how close he was to being home. He would be home shortly. I walked around making sure there wasn't some crazy person hiding waiting to light a match to blow us up. James got home and we checked out our furnace thinking it had to be that. Well it was getting late so we decided to just go to bed (real smart when you can smell gas). I was woken up by Megan (James' sister) at about 3:15am. She wanted me to go wait in line with her to get a Wii. Thank goodness she called. The smell was the same if not worse. I shut off the furnace, opened a couple of windows and snuggled my bubba in blankets. I kissed him and was silently scared to leave him there alone in the cold and with a gas smell.
Megan and I were in line for our Wii's until 7am. All during the time of me being gone I was constantly praying for James to be alright. I couldn't fathem the idea of something happening. Now, I must tell you that I had a very calm spirit about me this whole time, so I was not worried... I knew he was being watched over. I got home about 7:30am and woke my sleeeping prince up. He started coughing, which was not a good sign. Megan must have told her dad cause Jerry called and asked us to come to their house to get out of the gas. We instantly got up, threw on sweats, and went to Jerry's to lay down and to try to get some sleep. My Dad called and encouraged us to call the gas company. While this is all happening we can not get a hold of our landlord.
The gas company said they would call and wake someone and get them to our house within the hour. So we raced back home to make sure we were there and the gas guy pulled in right after us! Talk about customer service. He grabbed his gas detector (which reminded me of the Ghost Busters) and realized he would have to run to our neighbor Smith's Grocery to get some batteries. He went through the house and checked everything dealing with the furnace and water heater. My sweet Dad was there and eventually our landlord showed up as well. We all concluded the smell was worse in our storage room where there are washer/dryer hookups. James and I had moved our entertainment center back in there the day after Thanksgiving and little to our knowledge, a gas line for a gas dryer and not been sealed off. Very dangerous. It was constantly being bumped and made it loose which caused our gas leak. The nice gas man sealed off the pipe and confirmed to us that we were 100% safe!
I am just so grateful neither James or I did not get sick or worse. I am so grateful that we were being watched over and that certain events transpired to ensure our safety. Blessings are around us everyday and I am grateful for this gospel to help guide our way.
1 day ago


3 comments:
Wow... that's pretty scary!! I'm glad you guys were safe, though! To answer your question you left on my blog (it's not just me randomly bringing up my life and wanting to talk about me=)), I am working at Apex. A bunch of us Ex-Atlas girls got together Monday for lunch... wish you could've been there! Enjoy your Christmas as a married woman!!
Glad you are safe! Gas leaks can be scary. I love to see whats new in your life. You are such a doll!
I am glad you are alive too. You need a canary around so when it kills over dead then you know that it is time to leave the apt. I've heard that is what they use in mines.
Post a Comment