Thursday, March 13

Clogging history

Clogging has been a major factor in my life for the past 15 years. It all began when I was a wee little girl and I was taking tap/ballet with Lauren, Chelsey, and Caryn. The only part I liked in ballet was at the end when we got to run across the room and do a leap over the garbage can. Obviously ballet was not for me if my favorite part was jumping over a garbage can! My wonderful neighbors the DeYoungs introduced me to clogging. I feel madly in love with clogging. It was so fun!! Different steps with fun names like doubley-doubley, frogger, pinwheel, knock it, slap backs, cinderella, and so forth. I started dancing on Lori's team and had a blast. I soon was approached from LaChere saying I was able to move up! WAHOO!! From then on LaChere taught me all I know. She is an amazing teacher! It's interesting to look at it now because she was probably early 20's teaching and managing everything, INCREDIBLE! I owe everything to her!

Vawd Squad was our team name and I would not miss clogging for ANYTHING! I had my brother change his wedding date for a clogging competition and I even missed my Dad's 60th suprise birthday party. Crazy right?! My team members became my second family. I don't know if you will ever find a team of girls that loved clogging and worked as hard as our team did! They knew me better than a lot of my school friends. We were able to do so many awesome things with clogging from the 2002 Olympic Opening Ceremonies to performing on a cruise ship to going to New Orleans 2 weeks before Hurricane Katrina hit. I love all of my clogging family so much! The year after New Orleans was hard. Many had to quit due to moving, starting families, and different paths in life. Our Vawd Squad time was over. I decided it was time to focus on school and college. Living in Provo and working full time and going to school full time and then commuting up every week got extensive. My dear friend Cambria, from my team, was living in Springville and started up her own studio. I was saved! I was able to clog with some dear friends and we had so much fun! With a sudden change in events Cambria moved to Morgan and we tried for one more year without Cambria to keep it going. It was fun, just not the same.

Not having clogging in my life has been interesting. I dedicated so much of my life to it and then it was gone. James has never seen me clog, so strange to me that the clogging part of my life has not met the best part of my life!

BUT IT'S BACK!! I am clogging again with Cambria in Morgan. I am so excited they asked me to help out cause it has been so much fun! Hopefully I will be able to learn more dances, especially this one that Ayrion has made up! WOW! This weekend we are going to Pocatello for our compeition. I felt like I was 5 asking for a day off to go to Idaho for a clogging competition. Non the less, I am stoked! I am sad I will be gone for 3 nights and not see my sweet husband, but I can't wait to compete again!

** Sorry for the lack of pictures. I will post them when I get back. The ones on the internet are like old country folk dancers... which is NOT clogging!

6 comments:

LeAnn said...

That is so exciting, I have seen you clog before and you are very good and I know you guys will do awesome. Good luck!

Andrea said...

I think i remember you mentioning something about clogging before. Cant wait to see pictures. Good Luck this weekend.

Kipp and Ashlee said...

Lindsey! So, I think it's so crazy when I find people who are on each others' blogs and know each other- and I know them both, but didn't know they knew each other. How do you know Jade?!? We were super close at Utah State. So crazy!! P.S. I'm excited you get to start your clogging again! Please don't let it interfere with your blogging, though. Haha.

Natalie said...

I forgot that I have a conference all day on Friday, so if we get together in Poky it might be better on Saturday. If not, that's ok too! Good luck this weekend!

Janelle said...

I would totally love it if you came to bunco. I am sure we are going to need a sub. I will let you know. How are you

Karlee Turner said...

I'm so glad that you are still clogging! I wish I was still taking dance classes...I definitely miss it! Although, my kitchen has a great dance floor, and on occasion, you can find me letting it all out!