Friday, January 9

My major goal

I have some goals for 2009
But my main goal I want to focus on
is food storage!
{Such a daunting task, or so it feels like it}
So instead of getting all stressed over it
I have started in little steps at a time
This is something that keeps coming back to me
And I am excited to do it
I started to save our milk gallons
{it is so much time and effort to clean them out
and secretly I am afraid of what it will taste like}
BUT at Smiths right now they have
Arrowhead gallon jugs for $1!
It's a nice step toward the right direction
I know I have read posts of
others asking where to start.
Any ideas or suggestions
would be lovely!

8 comments:

Karlee Turner said...

I'm so with you on this one! One of the best ideas I got was to plan out a days worth of meals (breakfast, lunch and dinners--and stuff you would REALLY eat!) and then each month focus on buying the stuff for one day of meals (so 12 of everything if you are working for a 3 mo supply). For me that really helped organize it and make it manageable. Have I done it? Not yet..but its a great idea that I'm planning on carrying out :)

LeAnn said...

I really don't know where to start either, but I too want to start building up my food storage.

Kristen said...

Instead of scary milk gallons, I buy a 4.50 case of water at Costco every time I am there. You have to rotate these, because they'll go bad since they aren't in the blue storage jugs. Also I have budget every month and I spend it only on food storage. For two weeks, you need 2.5 cases per person. You can also get the blue jugs at Emergency essentials, that is a fun store to go in. This month and next I am saving for a freezer so I can start filling it up in March. Then I'll use my money for case lot sale at Macy's. I am also doing nice 72 hour kits one month for everybody. Good Goal!!! It's my same one.

Alex, Chelsea, and Tessa said...

My parents got us a bunch of food storage for Christmas. I realize that doesn't help with you starting yours, but I thought you might want to know that I am doing well with my food storage. That helps right? PS, Alex and I always saved liters-like from soda, etc-and used that for our water. It was better than those milk jugs because at least if they weren't totally clean we could get a little taste of Root Beer or something.

Trisha said...

Do not use milk jugs!!! Cory found out that you can never get them completely cleaned out so the milk residue will always be there. Plus, the plastic used isn't good either for some reason. We buy the apple juice at Costco, then use the container when the juice is gone. Have you seen all of our water in the spare bedroom downstairs? I would go with Kim's idea and go in emergency essentials. You'll get some good ideas there. We have lots of info too. I'll get it to you at the next Sunday din-din. Love you girl. love, me

Emma said...

Linds, This is a great goal. I need to start too. Keep posting your ideas or any great finds. It was great seeing you yesterday!

Mark and Hillari Cragun said...

hey girl
Mark and I started our food storage last year and we tried to by the things that all the website and stuff told you to buy, but i found it best to buy things you will eat. My favorite thing to do was to go to the case lot sales and by soups and things in the cans. That is my advise you can do with it what you want. I have also found Gallons of water at the dollar store.

The Fergi Fam said...

we were storing water in jugs like that for a while until one day there was a big puddle under the bed and we couldn't figure out why. All of the plastic jugs had lost it's shape or something and they all started leaking everywhere! It was a mess...sorry to rain on your parade but the juice bottles and individual bottled water work great. Good luck!! :)