Monday, August 17

How to Make a Cake

How To Make A Cake
by: Chef Lindsey
{Yes that is a self title of Chef for myself}


Since seeing Julie & Juila I have decided to become a cooking teacher. Little did you know that The Food Network called me asking if I wanted my own show, but I politely declined. Who wants to be famous? Ok. Maybe I do. And when I said Food Network called me, well I lied. It was actually my grandma. She called asking if I would make her some cinnamon rolls before we moved. True story. My family doesn't want me to move because of my cinnamon rolls. I'm a legend with the Jacobs/Hartmann side. And yes one day Food Network will call and ask me. But I will still decline so I can tell my kids how much I love them over being famous.

On to our demonstration:
1: Pick out flavor of cake
- I thought strawberry was a good flavor.
I thought wrong.
Thank you to Sous Chef James we decided a nice yellow cake
2: Mix ingredients together
3: Pour batter into sprayed pan
4: Eat batter out of mixed bowl.
- Spatula, spoon, or even fingers work great
5: After cake is done cooking set out to cool a bit
6:Once cake has cooled a bit try to show off for husband/sous chef
by getting cake so nicely out of pan.

7: Once cake has so nicely come out of pan,
WAIT where is half the cake?
Oh right... still in the pan.
- Reader discretion advised. I will not repeat what happened when half the cake came out of pan.
8: Cook another cake
- Chef Lindsey has one cake pan. She's a rebel like that.
9: Here comes the fun part - Decorating!!

10: Take out cake decorating kit received for birthday
11: Load in icing to tube
12: Get icing all over floor, counter, stove, and face.
What?! My face got in the way. Don't judge me.
13:Make sure you put so much icing on cake that it starts to landslide on top of itself.

14: Decide cake decorating is fun and do two layers of decorating thingies
15: Write in big letters 'We {heart} Joyce'
- It was Grandma Joyce's birthday yesterday
- I keep volunteering to make everyone a birthday cake thinking in my head they will turn out like Ace of Cakes from Food Network.
- Personally I think mine are better. Told you they would be calling me. Eventually.

16: Add crazy candles
17: Cake is complete
18: Sous Chef points out that Chef Lindsey is like a 5 year old kid who just decorated a cake for her first time in her life and is a wee bit worried that all the icing will take birthday girl Grandma into sugar overload.

** No Grandmas, dogs, children, or adults were harmed by the sugar overload of the day.
** Chef and Sous Chef may have eaten lots of the broken cake with lots of frosting.
** I lied again. It was just Chef who ate lots of broken cake with lots of frosting.
The End.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha sounds fun and very yummy! You crack me up! I am totally craving cake now!

Kawika and Aly and Emma said...

HAHAHA, you are HILARIOUS!! I had a smile on my face the WHOLE time I was reading this! Thanks for the great laugh!!

Congrats on the big move also, that is SO exciting!! It's not easy being away from family, but the experience will be SO worth it!

Love ya girl,
Aly

Carly said...

Thanks for the laugh! Dax's birthday is on the first....you up for a cake?

Jade and Michael said...

How funny! Was it Joyce's birthday? Tell her I said hello, I haven't seen her for a bit but I know my mom keeps in touch with her...

Jade and Michael said...

Also, can I ask you how do you know Lily and Lindsay and Ashlee?

sTaCiE said...

I love IT!!!! your posts are always the best to read!! They make me laugh so hard!! I want your recipe for your cinnamon rolls!!!

Unknown said...

I got to eat some of it yesterday, it was really really good! I don't really like cake too much, but that was the best cake I have ever had!!!! Mmm Mmm GOOD! :)

Jenny Alama said...

this confirms why i love you so much. making cake is so fun, but eating it??? much better. i love cake.

Tamara Jacobs said...

how cute linds!
i love it!