Saturday, April 24

Broken

Have you ever broken a bone?

If so... do you have a cool story?
It seems it's a crap shoot if you have a good or lame story.

I broke my left arm when I was in 5th grade.
I was inside with two other friends during recess
and Mr. Lance, a really tall intimidating teacher,
saw us and started coming to tell us to get outside.
Of course we shrieked like he was Frankenstein trying to eat us,
and bolted for the doors.
Too bad I am a clumsy blonde and tripped over the 1/4 inch
of weatherstripping at the doors.
Fell over and broke my arm.
Ya, not the coolest story.
But a pretty good one I guess.
{Flowers in bloom in our yard}
Then we get some texts yesterday that my dear niece Erin is in surgery.
James told me while he was in Utah that she had a broken nose,
but I think I was watching TV so things weren't really sinking in.
So when I asked Ian how she did it she was running in the Hillcrest Gym,
training for Cross Country and ran into a bar sticking out of nowhere.
At first I laughed.
Then I was corrected and found out she got two black eyes and surgery.

So this post is about silly accidents (mine) and sad ones (Erin).
Erin I hope you are doing better!
If I was in Utah I would have brought you a Red Mango.
I'm sorry I initially laughed.
It's not one of my best qualities to burst into laughter when someone gets hurt.
Like when one of my nanny girls crashed her bike into a fence.
I probably shouldn't have laughed.

4 comments:

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Last week Porter ran full force into a screen on a sliding door, and literally bounced back! And I was uncontrollably laughing! So even moms do it....it's OkAY!!!

Lindsey said...

I'm a laugher too. I just can't help but think it's funny when bad things happen to other people. Did I ever tell you that I taught with Mr. Lance my first two years? It was so funny to teach with my own fifth grade teacher. He always seemed so scary, but he is seriously one of the funniest people ever. Random, right?

Jenny Alama said...

Yeah, we all do it. And those that don't just really want to. We're the honest ones. ;)

VanOrden Family said...

Hey I remember that!