Wednesday, May 5

Flamingos have two legs

I don't know how old I was when I first learned of flamingos.

They are so cool. and pink.
And I love that Alice and Wonderland uses them as golf clubs.
But I was shocked to learn a month ago that they have two legs.
I had no clue!
At the zoo I turned and asked James how they walk with one leg,
when the other leg came uncurled from their body and
BAM... two legs.
Flamingos just got ten times cooler.
And that made me think.
Are you a thinker?
A thinker where your mind will not stop racing with a million different thoughts.
Thinking of life, family, friends, even flamingos?
Sometimes I turn the TV on to distract my thoughts.

Since living out here I think of what I want to do differently when we move back.
I want to spend more time with my nieces and nephews.
I want to keep my word when I say things.
Like promising to go places and do things with people,
or even sending a card in the mail.
I want to be a better cook.
But with all the things I want to do, I want to learn the art of sitting.
Sitting and appreciating the moment at hand.
Practicing not letting my mind race and taking in what is around me.
I am so busy thinking of what's next I miss what is right now.

Life is so blissful.
Life is so fun and so great!
It passes by too fast.
I can't believe I will be 25 this summer,
and going to celebrate 3 years of marriage in the fall.
I know that's not old but it makes me want to be better.
To remember and cherish every minute I have.
Especially the ones where I learn flamingos have two legs.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Linds, you crack me up! You are so awesome, thanks for making me smile today!

Jenny Alama said...

I think I knew that??? Now you're making me second guess myself... haha! I am not a thinker but I don't really appreciate things in the moment as I should. I have started focusing on this the past 2 weeks and I already am happier :) Good luck to living life to the fullest! Love you Linds!

Carly said...

I want to be shocked at things like how flamingos have two legs! I love the child-like (good thing!) awe you have about the world. I wish I were more that way.

Jennifer Lane said...

this is such a cute post linds. i think back to our year at Crestwood together...it's a complete blur. i wish i would have lived in the moment then.

Emily said...

Oh, Linds -

That made me laugh!!

I love ya!!

Jared and Lindsay said...

This is by far my favorite entry you've written. All I can say is, I'm not surprised! You're the best Linds. Can't wait till you're back. xoxo never change